Saturday, October 12, 2013

My latest project.  I had already sanded the bottom part when I remembered to snap a couple pictures. I removed the doors and painted it in a dark gray.




Monday, June 24, 2013

Turquoise Desk with Hutch and a Mini Buffet

I can't seem to remember to take pictures of my pieces before their makeovers.  But imagine the typical orange colored pine desk.  The desk had writing on it and had some deep gouges.  I sanded the entire thing and filled the gouges before painting it my new favorite turquoise color.  It's Valspar's paint and primer in one.  It goes on so smooth.  I refinished the top to look like weathered barn wood.  I found the desk, chair, and hutch at different sales.  Painting them all the same color made them seem like they were a family all along.  I listed this set online and it sold in 10 minutes.  This one was hard to let go.  I want to keep everything!!!
 


I picked up this side table / mini buffet at our local thrift store.  It was unfinished pine and very sturdy.  It has one large drawer on top that looks like two.  I added the chevron paper behind the glass. I love everything about this piece: the circle pulls, the chevron paper, the color.  This piece was also hard to let go of and sold quickly.


 
You'll be seeing a lot more of this color!!!!!  I'm linking up to RedouxTransformation ThursdayFurniture Feature Friday, and Frugal Friday

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Two Big Transformations

The past couple months have been so busy refinishing furniture.  It's been great!!! The two largest pieces I painted were a hutch and a china cabinet.

I forgot to take a before picture of this piece until after I'd started sanding. It has the most gorgeous detailing.  I would have to say it is one of my very favorite pieces I've worked on!!! I wish I could have kept her.






The second piece was a china hutch my friend asked if I wanted for free.  They were going to set it by the road with a free sign on it.

I painted it in a light robins egg blue, lightly sanded the edges, and waxed it.  I sprayed the hardware in oil rubbed bronze.  Turned out so nice but boy was it a lot of work.  There is a reason I have only refinished two of these large china hutches.





Needless to say both pieces are enjoying their new homes!




Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Antique Chevron Reupholstered Arm Chair

I picked up this arm chair last spring at a yard sale for $10.  The frame was in great shape but the fabric was torn, the seat sagging, and it needed a fresh look.
 
The webbing was all rotted and broke.  Some of the strings that tied the springs were broke as well.
 
It had the original grass in the seat and back.
 
I gutted her.  It took forever to remove all the staples in the frame.  I retied the springs, gave it new webbing underneath, and sewed the springs to the webbing underneath by hand. I lightly sanded, primed, and painted the frame.
 
I used the old pieces of fabric as a pattern and cut my new fabric. I reused the old sheeps wool along with new stuffing, burlap, and batting. I took many pictures of the demo and put it back together the same way it was with some new materials. Then I used my upholstery gun and stapled the fabric and added trim.
 
I bought an upholstery gun on Amazon for $20 or $30 (can't remember) almost a year before and never used it before this chair.  I love it because it hooks to my air compressor and is so easy. It shoots them in with no effort.  So worth the money!  I have since used it several times on other projects.
 
This project was many many hours of labor over several days.  This is only the second chair of this kind I've upholstered.  I have done many other small projects like seats and benches.  I'm getting a little faster as I learn.  I've had this chair done for six months and just today added the trim to hide the staples.  It feels good to finally have it 100% done!


I love this chair.  So fresh and updated!

I bought the fabric at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon.  It ended up being $5.40 a yard and I used 3 yards.  With the fabric, trim, 1/2 box of staples and the $10 I paid for the chair I have about $35 into it and hours and hours of labor.
 
Now if I could motivate myself to recover this chair in the same fabric I'd be set.  I picked this chair up last summer at a yard sale for $3.  The nice thing is it was already stripped and staples removed.  I painted it, added new burlap to the back and added webbing underneath.  I would love to add springs but I don't have any or know where to get some cheap.  I may just add foam.  Maybe in a year she'll be done. Ha.
 

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Saturday was warm enough to get outside and sand some furniture and boy did it feel good.

Saturday I picked up this dresser at our local thrift shop for $5.  It had good bones but was dated and the drawer slides had come off and were inside the drawers.  I had to reattach them. It is solid wood and very heavy.  I can't move it by myself even with the drawers out.

There were stickers on the side.  Overall it was in nice condition.  I removed the stickers and went over it with my sander. I roughed up the finish just enough to make the new paint stick well.  I gave it three coats of grey semi gloss then added the brass pulls that were on it when I bought it.

I love the gray color with the brass pulls.  The simple shape gives it a modern look.  Simple clean lines!


 
Many more furniture pieces to come!
I'm linking to Primp, and Transformation Thursday