Monday, January 24, 2011

China Hutch and Dining Room Reveal

As long as I can remember I have wanted a china cabinet. Growing up my grandma had two of them and I always knew I wanted one someday. I have been looking on craigslist off and on for quite a while. I kept seeing them in Seattle for a reasonable price but not locally. I happened upon one a couple weeks ago nearby. The lady was asking $150. I emailed her and asked if she didn't sell it would she take less. She emailed me a week later and said she would take $100.

My husband and I went and picked it up. It is solid wood and very heavy. It's the perfect size, not to big. So last week was spent refinishing it. It was a huge job. I had to sand the top of the buffet because it had some minor water damage. Then after a thorough cleaning I gave it 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of paint, 1 coat of antiquing glaze, and 1 coat of polycrylic. All the effort was worth it. I love the way it fits in with the rest of the dining room furniture.

After one coat of primer.

I also cut pieces of bead board to fit the back of the upper portion. I used liquid nails to secure it to the dark wood paneling. Then put these heavy cans on top of it overnight. I had to caulk around each of the panels to fill in the small gaps.

I used Ralph Lauren antiquing glaze (in Tobacco) to give it a bit of an aged look and it really made the details pop. I just brushed it on and wiped it off.

And these were taken this morning in the natural light. Isn't she gorgeous!

 I love all the detail especially the dental moulding. 

It fits in nicely with the dining room furniture.

Another look at the BEFORE

And the AFTER

I'm linking up with Transformation Thursday and Frugal Friday, and Show and Share Day, and Miss Mustard's Seeds Copy Me Challenge and Wassup Wednesday.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A "New" Vanity and Chandelier

I picked up this cute desk /vanity several months ago for free. It needed some tlc. The scrolly architectural piece under the left drawer was missing so I got out the jigsaw and cut a new one. We've had the saw for over a year and never used it. It was fairly easy to use and was perfect for cutting a detailed piece of wood like this.

Both sides were rough as if the piece had once had a laminate or other finish that had been pulled off. I sanded them down as best I could with my electric sander but they still didn't look good. So I took some scrap beadboard and cut out rectangles and glued and nailed on each side. It fit perfectly since the legs stick out 1/8 inch from the side. The beadboard is flush with the legs.

Then I sanded, primed and painted the entire piece.

And here is the after! I bought new glass antique looking knobs but haven't changed them out yet. She resides in the family room and is very useful. I bought the candlesticks at a yard sale this summer for $2 for both. They were originally oak colored solid wood and still had the tags on the bottom  from World Market and were $18 and $15. 

I also got this iron light fixture for free at the same place I got the vanity. I replaced it myself when the hubby was at work. I love how it looks over the dining room table.

We've got many projects on our to-do list for this year. The biggest is doing something with those ugly orange kitchen cabinets. On a budget of course. Stay tuned......