Sunday, May 2, 2010

Headboard Turned Bench


I have been wanting to make a bench using a headboard and footboard for a loooong time.  It was just a matter of finding an inexpensive set that I liked.  I picked up these two pieces at a thriftshop for $10 for both pieces.  I love the simpleness of the design.  There were no side rails with them.  I used scrapwood (tables leaves from an old broken table) we had in the garage to finish it off. My husband helped me put in a few long screws I couldn't get to go in but other than that I did all the cutting, putting together and painting.



Remember the box of furniture legs I got at a yard sale last summer for $1.  I used two of these to make the sides higher.  I thought about using fancier legs but these plain boxy ones match better.
 



After caulking I sprayed a coat of Kilz primer on it yesterday.  I'm still not sure what color I'm going to paint it but I love it already.

Total cost of bench: $10

Edited 5-7-10 to add this pillow
I really wanted to make a cushion for the bench but foam is so expensive. Tonight I had an idea pop into my head. I started with this table runner that I picked up at a yard sale last summer for $1. Someone made it with coordinating fabrics so it is reversible.


It was about a foot longer than the bench so I cut the extra length off and sewed the ruffle back on. A lady from church had given me about 15 yards of quilt batting that she had used as "snow" at her daughter's wedding reception. So I took some, rolled it up, turned my pillowcase inside out and rolled it onto the batting.


Instead of a cushion I have this great reversible pillow that cost me $1!!! The bench with the pillow cost me a grand total of $11 and a few hours work!





I have this beautiful old piece of wood I cut from the middle of the footboard.  It is almost three feet across.  I think I will make a sign to hang on the wall.  Maybe I will paint "Antiques" across it.  So many options.

25 comments:

  1. Wow, Arlene, that is SO cute!! I love it already too & you're not even done with it. Can't wait to see more & where you put it. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my word! What a great project!!! :) I'm going to have to link to it either this Friday or next. Good job! :) I'm visiting from Rhoda's party-hope you'll stop by my blog too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very cool! You did a wonderful job with it!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I love the detail on the headboard/bench back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to make a bench - very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to make one of these too! too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing bench. I love it, you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I am TOTALLY stunned. How wonderful is that bench? Be proud of yourself my dear. You have at least this reader in total awe! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I think you did a fabulous job! It's beautiful and such a wonderful idea!! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want one!!!! It's looking fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these benches made from head and foot boards! Your creation was such a bargain! Some poufy little seat and side cushions will be the crowning touches to your sweet, thrifty treasure.
    :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your bench...can't wait to see what color you end up painting it. And I agree with the comment above, an overstuffed cushion would look darling on it! Nice Work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it ! Always wanted to do this, it turned out great !

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks great! I have an old, old twin bed head and foot board that I've been wanting to do the same thing to. I love the sign idea!
    ☺ Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's beautiful! you did a great job!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful execution! And that reversible cushion you made?!? What a cool idea! This project sure is a pretty one!

    Thanks for linking up to SNS!
    FJ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your bench, what a good job you did! And the pillow is so cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it! I have been wanting to make one for myself for some time. I am saving this post for instpiration. Wishing you a blessed Mother's Day...sherry

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow that looks awesome! great job! I'd love for you to link up http://iheartnaptime.blogspot.com/2010/05/sundae-scoop-favs-link-party-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE this idea! It turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the bench and I can't wait to see how the sign turns out (if that's what you end up doing with it.) You are very talented and repurposing furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your bench turned out fantastic! I love the clean, simple lines of it...and that pillow is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.