I picked up this cute desk /vanity several months ago for free. It needed some tlc. The scrolly architectural piece under the left drawer was missing so I got out the jigsaw and cut a new one. We've had the saw for over a year and never used it. It was fairly easy to use and was perfect for cutting a detailed piece of wood like this.
Both sides were rough as if the piece had once had a laminate or other finish that had been pulled off. I sanded them down as best I could with my electric sander but they still didn't look good. So I took some scrap beadboard and cut out rectangles and glued and nailed on each side. It fit perfectly since the legs stick out 1/8 inch from the side. The beadboard is flush with the legs.
Then I sanded, primed and painted the entire piece.
And here is the after! I bought new glass antique looking knobs but haven't changed them out yet. She resides in the family room and is very useful. I bought the candlesticks at a yard sale this summer for $2 for both. They were originally oak colored solid wood and still had the tags on the bottom from World Market and were $18 and $15.
I also got this iron light fixture for free at the same place I got the vanity. I replaced it myself when the hubby was at work. I love how it looks over the dining room table.
We've got many projects on our to-do list for this year. The biggest is doing something with those ugly orange kitchen cabinets. On a budget of course. Stay tuned......