Friday, November 11, 2011

Duncan Phyfe Table and Lyre Back Chairs

I picked up a small duncan phyfe dining table and two lyre back chairs last week.  The table was $7 and the chairs $1 a piece.  To say they needed some tlc is an understatement.  The joints on the chairs were loose so I spent a good hour glueing, clamping, and repairing them.



One was upholstered in green and cream stripes and the other was red with cream swirls.  The fabric was filthy.  This is after the chairs were repaired and sanded.

The table base and top were also sanded.


Then I sprayed them with black paint in an eggshell finish. This is always the easy part.  It took me about 10 minutes to spray everything. I was fortunate to get a warmer day to paint outside last week.

And after three hours work here is the finished product!!! 

I used scraps from a painter's drop cloth for the fabric on the chairs.  Then I used masking tape to tape off and paint the stripes and stenciled on the laurel wreath and year.  I wanted them to look like they were recovered with an old grain sack.


Wish I had room to keep them!!!


13 comments:

  1. I love how the lyre back chairs came out. The seats are so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see these and I wish I had my grandmothers Lyre back chairs, I love the way these turned out....dramatic, lots of impact!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome transformation...love them!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really wonderful! I'd love them in my house! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Question - what would you charge for just the chairs? I'm asking, because I have to value the two I have for a divorce. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps - my email is nhowells at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If the chairs are Duncan Phyfe, they are worth about $450 each. Google them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Barbara. So I have a mint condition chair. Original seat with no tears or rips. How do I tell if it's a Duncan Phyfe ? Reply to bbrown22911@msn. Com

      Delete
    2. Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. In Ontario where I live these flood the market. I just got an entire set with table for free because the guy couldn't sell it and he had to get rid of it.

      Delete
  8. How did you repair or replace the harp

    ReplyDelete
  9. You painted Duncan Phyfe chairs and table! OMG. That is very nearly a crime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You painted Duncan Phyfe chairs and table! OMG. That is very nearly a crime.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's very possible these were Duncan Phyfe "style" not originals. From what I understand, DP did not mark his work, and his style was copied as reproductions into the early 1900's. Not saying this to take away the value of what's here, many people use "Duncan Phyfe" to indicate the style. Reproductions aren't meant to be copies.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.