Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Family Tree

I've been working on a big project while the hubby has been gone hunting for the week. I wanted to get it all done and surprise him when he got back. It has been a lot of fun and I finished last night. It was actually hubby's idea to have this large wall (the stairs are behind it) in the new family room be a family tree wall. I was all for that idea.

Figuring out what to do with it was the hardest part. I knew it had to cost next to nothing. Most of the frames I already had. I painted 8 Goodwill frames I've had kicking around black then sanded the edges. Originally I was going to do all black but decided that would be too much. So I brought in some off-white and celery green ones I had in the bathroom and I loved the color combination. I only ended up buying 5 frames (the cream colored ones) at TJ Max for $4 each.



I made the family tree below by cutting out the tree and leaves on heavy cardstock. Our kids' names are written on the trunk and hubby and I's on the large branches.  Each leaf has a name on it. It is six generations of our ancestors.






I wanted to do some vinyl lettering but that was out of the budget so I came with my own version. I printed my words from the computer and taped them to the window then taped my burlap over top and traced around the letters with a black sharpie. Then I took a small paint brush and filled the rest of it in with black paint.



I also made this B and olive branches on burlap the same way as the others. I found this frame at Goodwill. It was $2. I just painted and sanded it. I loooove it!!!!





I'm hooking up over at Just a Girl, The Shabby Chic Cottage and Between Naps on the Porch.  Go check other fun projects!!!  I am also linking up at A Soft Place to Land for Do-It-Yourself Day.  I'm also hooking up with Layla's Favorite Post Party and Nester's Collections Party.

21 comments:

  1. Wow, love the family photo wall; and your "family" and "heritage" and "B" art! I'm going to have to give that a try. Thanks!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute post and I love the family tree. I need to come up with a fun way to display more photos of our family and ancestors, thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the whole thing especially the burlap! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been drawn to burlap lately too - I don't think I can fight it any longer, especially after seeing your "B" - that is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm over from Just a Girl. I love the family tree wall. It looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is very cool! I love it!!! I wish I had more wall space in my house. I have window every where. Love your blog btw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh your heritage wall is outstanding!!! What an incredibly creative way to remind your children of all the people who love them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is fabulous!!! I love it!!! Now I want to do that in my hallway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, we were so excited to see your fabulous post on painting on fabric. I am making burlap pillows next week and we really wanted our initial on it. Now we see how we can! Thanks so much! Even woke up Hubs to show him! Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this!! I have a wall in my house that has been needing "something", but I wasn't sure what. THIS IS IT!!! I hope mine will turn out as beautiful as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another awesome bulap idea! There have been so many lately I'm ready to run out and by some burlap....i hope there is some left!

    Dena
    sweetpicklesandchocolate

    following you stop by and follow me

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job. It looks fabulous. I have a monday party Its So Very Creative and I really hope you post this project. Very cute
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE the burlap "B"!!! I saw your original post a while back for the B and I wanted to recreate one myself. I made mine but I don't like it that much and I want to redo it. Anyway, I actually linked to Met Monday today and I saw yours again and I wanted to say HI and thanks for the inspiration.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  14. It all looks wonderful, love the arrangement and I love the burlap, the wall is perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so getting an itch for some burlap! I've seen a ton of darling projects using it, inclusing this one! I love your burlap prints.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't believe you just painted those on burlap. They look embroidered.
    sheila

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! This is amazing. I love the combination of colors and I think your painted letters look better than vinyl would have.

    ReplyDelete
  18. great job........you have areal eye for design

    ReplyDelete
  19. love it!! especially what you did with the embroidery and burlap, gorgoeus.

    a long family bench or old church pew would look amazing and proportioned under that lovely frame wall.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Arlene,
    I'd LOVE to know where you got the framed "Family Tree"? It is in the center below/between the Family - and - Heritage Framed Burlap
    Is it a stencil - or is it embroidered?
    Do you know where I can get one? EXACTLY what I am looking for!
    Thank you,
    Kris in Valencia, California
    KVarton@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.