Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Transformation of a Craigslist China Hutch

I picked up this china hutch on Craigslist for cheap.  The picture below was the one listed on the Craigslist ad.  It looked great.  I thought I wouldn't have to paint it.  When I picked it up however I realized how decieving the picture was.  The finish was terrible, the painted chipping and a back leg broken.  You can not see it in the picture but the back had large gold swirls painted on it.  The indentions in the doors were also painted gold.

I ended up repairing the leg, spraying it black, and removing the gold grids in the glass doors.
The Before

And the After....


Love the crown moulding and the dental moulding across the top of the buffet in the above photo.

 This piece took more time than I originally thought but it turned out gorgeous.

10 comments:

  1. very pretty~! congrats on your sale

    xoxoxo
    Sonny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great redo! Those suckers are a lot of work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a million bucks. good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I've done a bunch of Hutches. I sold the one I did for my kitchen and m,an do I regret it... the one I got to replace it doesn't come near to matching it. If I ever find one like it again, I will NOT sell it.

    The replacement:
    http://solongfarm.blogspot.com/2011/01/what-you-might-need-to-know.html

    The original, very similar to yours:
    http://solongfarm.blogspot.com/2010/10/what-have-i-done.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey do you find doing handles/hardware on black items harder? I always feel they either are too dark and get lost... or look odd painted a lighter shade. The ones on this hutch you did are perfect- what did you do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful piece of furniture! You're right, it looks good in the BEFORE picture, too bad it was deceiving, but it turned out GREAT after you fixed it up :)
    I'd love it if you'd link this up to The AFTER Party @ 3 Meadow Lake Cottage...

    http://www.3meadowlakecottage.com/2011/06/striped-curtains-finally-and-after.html

    ~Erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. great re-do!! How did you get the gold tape off the glass?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, friend! I'm admiring all your creative posts here. Can you please share them at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.