I picked up two french style end tables at a yardsale for $5 each. This one looked like it had slight water damage on top. The finish was rough and it had a couple cracks were the wood had split. I filled the cracks with wood putty then sanded the top smooth. I also removed the shell cutout on the front of each table. Other than that they are solid construction and the draweres have dovetail joints. They are built very well.
It was too cold to spray them outside and I didn't want to have to sand them. I decided to try the chalk paint recipe I've seen around blogland. I mixed 1 cup of flat latex paint and 1 tbsp white nonsanded grout and started painting. They turned out great and love how easy the chalkpaint is to work with. It adhered very well to the unsanded finish. Then I stenciled the tops to look like a vintage grainsack and sprayed the handles oil rubbed bronze. Love how they turned out.
Not bad for $5 each.
I'm linking to Furniture Feature Friday, February's Before and After Party, Transformation Thursday and Frugal Friday.